Friday, July 23, 2010

Che Guevara

Che GuevaraI’ve always been a bit of a history buff, but would have had to plead ignorance on Che Guevara’s significance, and why militant hippies don his likeness on their t-shirts.

I can’t remember him even being mentioned during high school. If he was in the curriculum, it was skipped by my teachers or ignored by me.

To figure out what all the fuss is about, I read Jon Lee Anderson’s massive biography Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life.

So after 900 pages, what do I think of Che? Well, he’s a bit of a paradox. He’s both someone whose social indignation and passion, I can emphasize with and understand, while also someone whose rhetoric and cold actions were terrifying.

I won’t be rocking a Che Guevara tee anytime soon.

Well, that subject matter was a bit heavy for a blog where I usually share ill-informed movie opinions or trite observations.

We now return to our regular programming…

No comments:

Post a Comment