Thursday, June 18, 2009

Take On Me: Favorite Covers (Mixtape #6)

I posted my last mixtape more than a month ago… and there are massive protests in Iran. Coincidence?
Assuredly not.

So here we go… my cover songs playlist. There are some obvious standards in here and hopefully some below the radar selections that will make me seem oh so much cooler.




Track Listing:
1. Joey Ramone – “What a Wonderful World” (Louis Armstrong)
My covers playlist has had several iterations… always track #1.
2. Lou Reed – “This Magic Moment” (The Drifters)
Part of the Lost Highway soundtrack. Never saw the movie.
3. The Ramones – “California Sun” (Joe Jones)
Embodies all that is good about America’s first punk rock group.
4. Johnny Cash – “Hurt” (Nine Inch Nails)
Bold statement: the best cover version of any song, ever. Boom.
5. The Killers – “Romeo and Juliet” (Dire Straits)
Notice I did not pick The Killers’ cover “Shadowplay.”
6. Frente! – “Bizarre Love Triangle” (New Order)
Completely transformed.
7. Elbow – “Running to Stand Still” (U2)
Like it better than the original… love the way it builds.
8. Beck – “Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat” (Bob Dylan)
Beck replaces honky tonk with blazing distortion.
9. Jimi Hendrix – “All Along the Watchtower” (Bob Dylan)
Obvious, I know… but it really has to be included.
10. Nirvana – “The Man Who Sold the World” (David Bowie)
Such a great cover, many people don’t know it’s Bowie’s.
11. Stereophonics – “Handbags and Gladrags” (Chris Farlowe)
The theme tune of the BBC hit comedy “The Office.”
12. Cake – “I Will Survive” (Gloria Gaynor)
Far cooler (and more acceptable) than the original.
13. Laura Cortese – “Just Like Heaven” (The Cure)
A groovy cover of a classic 80s pop song.
14. Cowboy Junkies – “Sweet Jane” (The Velvet Underground)
Nearly unrecognizable seedy grunge.
15. Cat Stevens – “Another Saturday Night” (Sam Cooke)
Have I mentioned that I love key changes (done right).
16. Joe Cocker – “With a Little Help from My Friends (Beatles)
Another TV theme tune... Wonder Years.
17. Richie Havens – “Here Comes the Sun” (Beatles)
Havens has a bunch of really good covers.
18. Thom Yorke – “After the Gold Rush” (Neil Young)
Had a big Neil Young faze awhile back.
19. The Clash – “I Fought the Law” (The Crickets)
Punk-rock gods lend credibility to a clash with law enforcement.
20. The Beatles – “Twist and Shout” (Top Notes)
One of my favorite Fab Four tracks.

Cover Me Bad – Some Truly Terrible Efforts




And the WORST COVER EVER...



Sorry ladies.

3 comments:

  1. Ladies and gentlemen,

    That was my 50th blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I actually kind of like that Dolly Parton version.

    But you're right about that last one. That's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Iran isn't protesting your lack of playlists. They seek freedom from the oppressive reign of the the hated Shah Suliman al-Schibabble.

    ReplyDelete