Monday, June 15, 2009

Jeff’s Movie Review: The Hangover (2009)

It’s not the funniest movie of the year (see: I Love You, Man) but it’s close. This contemporary guy-friendship comedy isn’t the wholesome, cornball comedy that the Paul Rudd-Jason Segal bromance was… it’s straight up raunchy, yo.

Waking up with a hangover and little (or no) memory of what happened the night before is an experience most people can relate to. It’s also a surefire device for comedy. We piece together the crew’s drunken exploits bit by bit… think Memento meets Old School.

Zach Galifianakis, of Between Two Ferns fame, is garnering a lot of attention… and deservedly so; he was hilarious. Ed Helms was well cast as Stu and performed a nice little piano number. Bradley Cooper was the ringleader and had Emily swooning throughout. Mike Tyson’s cameo was as advertised, funny.

There were a few lowlights: With the exception of his first appearance, Mr. Chow did absolutely nothing for me and I’ve never found Rob Riggle (the cop) funny. He yells… that’s not funny.

Nonetheless, I thought it outperformed the high expectations I had for it. I laughed throughout. While I’d put it a notch below I Love You, Man, it’s an excellent dirty summer comedy.

Verdict:
3 1/2 Schaibles

No comments:

Post a Comment