Friday, May 29, 2009

What’s the Best Pixar Movie?

So Emily and I are itching to go see Up this weekend, Pixar’s latest masterpiece (or so the reviewers have claimed… I’ll let you know). It got me thinking about Pixar’s impressive track record and again, because everyone loves a list, I decided to rank them.

I’ll let you know where Up slots in later this weekend.

1. WALL-E (2008)
For my money, one of the two best animated films of all time (the other being Pinocchio). Tackles love, loneliness and humanity’s ugliest pitfalls. Not bad for a faceless robot.

****
UPDATE:
2. Up (2009)
Read my Up review.
****

3. Toy Story 2
(1999)
Better than the original. What would it be like to be a toy and find out you’ve been mass-produced? Those answers and more. Toy Story 3 comes out next year… anticipation mounting.

4. Finding Nemo
(2003)
Pixar’s underwater fantasia puts The Little Mermaid to shame. I’ve got a soft spot for Father-Son stories and this is a great one. Ellen DeGeneres’s Dory is one of the Pixar canon’s most endearing characters.

5. Toy Story (1995)
Pixar’s first demonstration of what computer animation could accomplish. Features one of the scariest villains of any movie – Sid, the psychopathic next-door neighbor.

6. Monsters, Inc.
(2001)
Those monsters that haunt your closet are actually pretty funny. Plus, Monsters, Inc. has one of the best, most imaginative chase sequences this side of Jason Bourne.

7. A Bug’s Life (1998)
I’m guessing that this would rank at the bottom of most people’s list since it certainly boasts the least imaginative plot – misfit on a journey finds redemption – but it’s one of the first movies I watched with my niece and we both loved it.

8. The Incredibles (2004)

Undeniably entertaining, The Incredibles only ranks down here because a.) something had to; and b.) it’s one of a million super hero-themed movies to come out in the last five years.

Haven’t Seen: Ratatouille or Cars.

So I now open it up to my loyal readers, what’s your favorite Pixar movie? Participation is required.

8 comments:

  1. Best Pixar movie: Toy Story

    Best Animated movie: The Lion King - yeah, I said it.

    Don't bother see Cars, it sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in the pre-Pixar era... Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King (too hard to pick an order, I loved them all!) I've only seen Wall-e and Toy Story and Monsters Inc. Don't remember too much about the last two, but I'm hoping up is 2009's Wall-e.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 Monster's Inc.

    Best animated movie: South Park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pixar: Toy Story

    Overall: Aladdin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Pixar - Toy Story 1&2

    Best animated - The Lion King

    Underrated - The Land Before Time

    Funniest - South Park

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Monsters Inc.
    2. Toy Story 2
    3. The Incredibles
    4. Wall-E
    5. Toy Story
    6. Ratatouille
    7. Finding Nemo
    8. A Bug's Life
    9. Cars

    Of course, they're all great films, but you have to have favorites, right? Monsters Inc. will perpetually be my favorite because of the inspired pairing of Billy Crystal and John Goodman, and because I still think it is the most innovative concept they've ever come up with at Pixar (and that's saying a lot). I still like Cars and Bug's Life a lot, but they just didn't have as much of that Pixar magic, I don't think. They seemed...well, too normal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Pixar films are great (I haven't seen Cars or Ratatouille either)...I think WALL-E is probably my favorite. After that it gets a bit hard to decide. Monsters Inc. and The Incredibles are definitely up there, as are the Toy Story movies.

    Best animated film? Too hard to decide. I adore Spirited Away, off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monsters Inc is the best hands down!
    "Mike Wizzzzzowski"

    ReplyDelete