Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jeff’s Movie Review (x 6): Sorry for the Delay…

Since my last post, I’ve seen six movies (only three in theatres - we're not made of money). Rather than do a separate, 300-word post on each (which I’m sure nobody would read anyways), I’ll just hit you some quick hits:

Star Trek
Emily and I saw this opening night. The only disappointment? I only saw one dorky couple dressed in their Trekki jumpsuits. The movie was great, although I wonder how long JJ Abrams can get away with the whole time travel thing.

Verdict:



3 ½ “Schaibles”



Monsters vs. Aliens
Saw this one with my niece a few weekends back. The theatre charged me $13.50 for an adult ticket! I don’t care if it’s 3D, that’s excessive. It was OK, but Bolt was definitely better. Bob – voiced by Seth Rogan – had his funny moments.

Verdict:

"2 ½ Schaibles"





Terminator Salvation
Emily and I weren’t expecting to be wowed… we just wanted to kill some time. The Terminator franchise lost me a few years back (I never bothered to see the last one). Christian Bale did his Batman growl. CGI Arnold was ridiculous. Action scenes were good though.


Verdict:

"2 Schaibles"





Synecdoche, New York
Emily and I needed two takes to watch this one. After our first attempt, I said to Emily, “I have no idea what’s going on. But it’s very artsy so it must be good.” Synecdoche, New York is the directorial debut of Charlie Kaufman, known for his screenplays – Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Adaptation. If you liked those, you’ll probably like this.

Verdict:



2 “Schaibles”



Les Misérables

We’re two months from our honeymoon. Emily’s particularly psyched to see Les Misérables in London. In preparation, we rented the non-musical feature film starring Liam Neeson. So now I know the story (and I don’t have to read, yay!). It was pretty good.

Verdict:



2 ½ “Schaibles”



Paul Blart: Mall Cop
I’m a Kevin James fan; he’s funny. I am not a fan of Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Kevin James was not funny. Obviously this was never going to be worthy of Academy Award consideration and my expectations were tempered. But it’s a one-note comedy… Newsflash: Kevin James is fat. If you think that’s funny, you won’t after 90 minutes of the same recycled punch lines.

Verdict:

1 “Schaible”

1 comment: