Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mr. Schaible Goes to Washington

Emily and I were in D.C. this weekend. We were attending the nuptials of her boss. It was the first time I’ve been to our nation’s capitol and needless to say, 2+ days doesn’t really cut it. Nonetheless, we had a great time… here is a recap:

(In the interest of keeping this post a reasonable length, I will refrain from posting all my pictures… I’ll post some more later).

Day One: Friday
What We Did: Made the 8+ hour trek from Northbridge, MA to Sterling, VA (my travel agent, Emily, found an affordable hotel there). Went to dinner with a Mr. Mix and the Misses… it’s been like two years since I last saw them. Friends from our Great California Adventure (circa 2006-2008), I credit Evan with the following two life developments: interest poker and collecting LPs. The two crashed at our hotel room.

Highlight: Seeing friends you haven’t seen for a long time is always nice… especially when it’s not awkward.

Tour Guides: Evan & Courtney.

Day Two: Saturday
What We Did: The four of us took the Metro into the city. Due to our overwhelming social schedule, we had approximately seven hours to see everything D.C. has to offer. We arrived at the National Mall and went to three museums: The Air and Space Museum, The National Gallery and the Museum of Natural History. Did you know they’re all free? That was awesome. The Natural History museum was definitely the coolest (and most crowded).

We then bid Evan and Courtney adieu and met some of Emily’s coworkers for a BBQ. The three ESPN editors talked shop and we wives gabbed. Joking aside, it was nice to put faces to some people who until then were only Wii avatars to me. We had a few beers and Emily and I accounted for roughly 70% of the conversation.

Highlight: Emily mistook the Capitol Building for the White House. We all had a good laugh at her expense… In her defense, it was misty and her eyes don’t function.

Through the Mist: The Washington Monument
(in all its phallic glory)

Day Three: Sunday

What We Did: The wedding was at 11:30am, so we carpooled over to the venue (which freed me up to treat the open bar and passed mimosas as a drinking competition). The ceremony featured a James Carville look-a-like as the pastor and a three-piece band… they played Pachelbel’s Cannon in D, which I enjoy and made me think of this. The reception kicked off and Emily danced.

After that we went back to the hotel for a breather and went out to dinner with Brett and his wife, Kim. In true Jeff-fashion it took roughly two minutes to inhale a chicken parm. And again, Emily and I kept our new friends from getting a word in edgewise.

Highlight(s): #1 Mimosas = liquid candy; #2 A tragic shoe accident. I won’t go into details in but to summarize: where once there was a shoe, now there is dust.

Cast: Jon, Steve, Emily, Brett & the Groom (Matt).
Not Pictured: Me

Day Four: Monday
What We Did:
Slept in some. Drove home.

Highlight: No traffic issues.

--fin--

4 comments:

  1. Whether the shoe incident was a highlight really depends on your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt... but surely it could have been worse: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=5776.0;prev_next=prev

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that was the White House!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to get to DC!

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete