Friday, March 20, 2009

Late to the Party: Girl Talk

While browsing YouTube yesterday at work (my boss wasn’t in), I found this:



Now I’m not the biggest fan of mashups (I’ll blame that Jay-Z / Linkin’ Park fad a while back), but I love this. For those of you scoring at home, “Play Your Part (Pt. 1)” featured samples from: Roy Orbison, UGK (featuring OutKast), The Spencer Davis Group, TTC, DJ Funk, Cupid, Pete Townshend, Unk, Twisted Sister, Huey Lewis & the News, Lil Mama, Ludacris, Jurassic 5, Temple of the Dog, Birdman, Rage Against the Machine, Aaliyah (featuring Timbaland), Birdman and Lil Wayne, T.I., Edwin Starr, Sinead O’Connor, Shawnna, Jay-Z (featuring UGK), Keleis (featuring Too $hort) and Young Jeezy (featuring Bone Crusher) – thank you Wikipedia.

Wow.

I had never heard of Girl Talk. Maybe I should have… the album Feed the Animals (2008) was widely recognized as one of the best albums of 2008:
  • Rolling Stone - #24
  • Time - #4
  • Blender - #2
  • Evan Mix -#2
So obviously I’m late to the party… but since some of you are probably sleeping on Girl Talk too, I’ll consider this post a public service announcement.

Want to know the best part? In similar fashion to Radiohead’s In Rainbows the whole album is available via the fantastic “pay-what-you-like” system. You can download the album here.

I’ll leave you with this… who is Girl Talk? This dude:

Not what I expected.

3 comments:

  1. wow. you really are going blog crazy today.

    this is great... i paid $0.00 and am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that video. The part with Lil' Wayne and Sinead O'Connor is the best bit.

    ReplyDelete