Anyways, key changes, as I understand them, are those oft-used, power-balladesque devices used to prop up a boring song. Intended to provide extra oomph, often they come off as cheesy (I’m looking at you Lionel Richie).
Emily’s take: “a key change makes any song 22 percent better.”
Here are some of my favorite songs boasting key changes (some cheesy, some just awesome):
- Bruce Springsteen – Born To Run
- Radiohead – Paranoid Android
- The Beatles – And I Love Her
- Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Oliver’s Army
- The Flaming Lips – Do You Realize??
- The Foundations – Build Me Up Buttercup
- The Beatles – Penny Lane
- Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Accidents Will Happen
- The Guess Who – These Eyes
- Chicago – You’re The Inspiration