Sunday, March 22, 2009

Jeff’s Movie Review: I Love You Man

At long last, I give you the return of my regular segment, “Jeff’s Movie Review.” The subject?

I Love You Man

Quick Synopsis:
Peter Klaven (Paul Rudd) is a successful real estate agent (Really? Still have those?) who needs a Best Man. After a series of awkward “man-dates,” Klaven connects with Sydney Fife (Jason Segal). Fife is fun-loving and self-assured. As the two get closer, Klaven’s relationship with his fiancée, Zooey (Rashida Jones) suffers.

My Thoughts:

I should disclose (in the interest of unbiased “journalism”) that I’m an unabashed admirer of Mr. Paul Rudd.

That said, Rudd was fantastic. He was funny and original as a guy who is awkwardly out-of-place everywhere and anywhere. I’m a sucker for “awkward funny”, see The Office (UK) & Curb Your Enthusiasm and Rudd's character certainly fit in that mold.

Jason Segal, who was real good in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, was great. I wish I had a friend like him.

I Love You Man also had some funny performances by people I didn’t even know were in the movie: J.K. Simmons, Andy Sandberg and Jamie Pressly.

The end was a little corny and left something to be desired but on the whole, it was definitely worth the matinee price.

The Verdict:

3 1/2 Schaibles



A very good rating for a comedy. Emily thought it was the best comedy since 40-Year Old Virgin. I’m racking my brain here and I think I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment