Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Underinformed: The Top 40 Songs of 2008

Look, I’m no music expert; far from it. Those of you that know me have witnessed me struggle through some truly terrible phases. So in the interest of full disclosure, before I tell you what are the definitive Top 40 songs of 2008, here are some of my notable crimes perpetrated against my ears (and the ears of those around me).
  • The first CD I ever owned was the Lion King soundtrack. Yep. Someday Rolling Stone is going to interview a Rock God. Asked about his or her influences, they’ll respond “well Hakuta Matata had a profound influence on my development… as a person and an artist.” Until that day, I’ll hang my head in shame.
  • My first concert: Remember Kriss Kross? It was a surprise. When we pulled into the parking lot, my friend and I quickly turned our hats, shirts and pants around. We were totally krossed out!
  • In high school, I listened to a lot of oldies music… particularly Frank Sinatra. Now I still listen to Frank but as Emily (my fiancée) has since pointed out, it has taken me ten years to work my way up to the present day.
  • During my sophomore year in college, my HS girlfriend and I split. This spawned two regrettable music phases:
  1. Simple Plan – Zach & Steve, I still want to know how that CD got snapped in half. Fess up!
  2. Disturbed / System of a Down – I got down with the sickness. This was a short-lived, ill-contrived “Jeff is a bad ass phase.”
Once Emily and I moved to San Diego things changed. Listening to music was the only thing that made writing page after page about personal injury lawyers tolerable. My co-workers were an eclectic group and introduced me to all sorts of new tunes.

So that brings us to the purpose of this post. I know everyone wants to know what I thought of the music scene last year. So here we go… my top 40 (in countdown style).

2 comments:

  1. When did you stop dressing like Kris Kross? Is that phase gonna stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lion King soundtrack kicked ass.

    ReplyDelete